Friday, March 4, 2011

Waiting for Superman


Last night I was able to finally see the documentary, Waiting for Superman. I would never go out and see a documentary in a movie theater, as my movie experiences usually consist of back-to-back fart jokes my son and I can enjoy together. But I've wanted to see this movie ever since I saw a few brief glimpses on the news. It is finally at Netflix, and I urge everyone to see it.

It is a masterpiece. A true documentary that objectively examines an issue, without tainting its conclusions with pre-conceived notions or a blatant political agenda. Did I mention Michael Moore should be fed ground poodle until he suffocates in canine paste? Davis Guggenheim (I can't believe this is the same guy who came up with "An Inconvenient Truth") does a truly remarkable job. The lottery scenes at the end are pure edge-of-your-seat suspense. Yes, I'm talking about a film that presents options to improve public education.

I don't think you need children in public schools to get something out of it. But having an eleven year old out there, I teared up more than once. Anyone who supports the unions in Wisconsin need to see this movie, but of course they won't. Just like I refuse to pay to see Michal Moore's latest rant (by the way, did you know the rich aren't rich at all - they are just holding the money, which is an American natural resource (!), and they need to give it back now that we need it?) Charlie Sheen makes more sense than Michael Moore.

As a moderate Republican with a strong Libertarian slant, it pains me to say I would vote for Barrack Obama's re-election, providing he replaces Arne Duncan with Michelle Rhee at the Department of Education. Under Michelle Rhee's chancellorship, D.C. secondary schools improved their standardized test pass rates by 14% in reading and 17% in math, while elementary school pass rates improved 6% in reading and 15% in math. Graduation rates also improved by 3%, up to 72% in 2009. However, Rhee's critics (no doubt funded by Teacher Unions) complained her speed left them without input on the changes. The District Council also criticized Rhee for being unresponsive to Council members' requests for information about school operations. Its easy to turn the tide when Union money comes rolling in. Mayor Fenty is killed, and Rhee with him. Waiting for Superman is a lasting legacy for innovative educational policy, not just Michelle Rhee's crusade, but to educators who get it. To simplify Wisconsin's situation as "union busting" is horribly wrong - its about bad teachers who can't get fired, poisoning children's chances before they have a chance.

See Waiting for Superman. You will be glad, and angry.

On another subject; who in HELL decided not to teach children cursive writing anymore? Was there a vote? Some sort of press release? Anything? Imagine - the next generation of America's youth WILL BE UNABLE to read the Constitution of the United States.


No comments:

Q: Where can men over the age of 50 find younger women who are interested in them? A: Try a bookstore under fiction.